Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed of Ethiopia and President Isaias Afwerki of Eritrea signed this morning a five pillars Joint Declaration of Peace and Friendship in Asmara.
According to Yemane G. Meskel, Eritrea’s Information Minister, the Joint Declaration states, inter alia,
- State of war that existed between the two countries has come to an end. A new era of peace & friendship has been ushered;
- Both countries will work to promote close cooperation in political, economic, social, cultural & security areas.
- Transport, trade and telecommunication ties will be resumed; diplomatic ties & activities renewed;
- Border decision will be implemented;
- Both countries will work together to guarantee regional peace, development & cooperation
Yesterday, Prime Minister Abiy said, “enough of war and news of imminent wars.”
President Isaias on his part said, “the tumultuous welcome accorded to Prime Minister Abiy in Asmara underscores how much the people of Eritrea cherish peace.”
Yesterday, direct phone connections restored for the first time, according to the Ethiopian chief of Staff of Prime Minister’s office Fitsum Arega.
He said, “for the first time after two decades, a direct international telephone connection between Ethiopia and Eritrea is restored today.”