Ethiopian Government says TPLF prepares for third round war

There are clear indications that as in June 2021, the Tigray Peoples Liberation Front (TPLF) disregarding peace initiatives, is going to wage a third round of war during the upcoming peak farming season, according to the Ethiopian Embassy in London, England.

In its statement the Embassy recalled that the Government of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia had declared an indefinite humanitarian truce on March 24, 2022, in a bid to facilitate the delivery of much-needed humanitarian assistance in the Tigray Region.



The World Food Program (WFP) has since managed to deliver over 400 trucks of much-needed food, nutrition, and fuel to the Tigray Region. On the other hand, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) delivered its fifth round of convoys to Mekelle on May 25, 2022, all carrying food and medical supplies. Moreover, ICRC commissioned over 54 cargo flights to deliver medical items and life-saving food to the Region.

Apart from the delivery of aid to the region, the Government has taken several other confidence-building initiatives to resolve the conflict in the country. It had, for instance, released senior members of the TPLF who had been imprisoned following the law enforcement operation in the Tigray Region and lifted the state of emergency proclamation.

“This was followed by the launching of the National Dialogue Commission, an all-inclusive national platform established with a view to resolving political differences through civil deliberations. It is hoped that the process will enable actors to discuss fundamental national issues openly and ensure national consensus in the nation,” the statement said.



“Indeed, all these actions have demonstrated the government’s commitment to peace and its readiness to resolve the conflict in a sustainable way.”

“However, the Tigray Peoples Liberation Front (TPLF) has constantly failed to reciprocate these positive gestures. It has continued obstructing the delivery of humanitarian assistance, diverting the aid to its militants, and disseminating a make-believe story, claiming that it withdrew from Afar Region,” it said.

According to the statement, the fact on the ground remains that the TPLF has withdrawn its forces only from two Woredas in the Afar Region, barring a few towns, which are still under its control. It has also continued its occupation of some towns in the Amhara region.

“Notwithstanding the Federal Government’s commitment to peace, the TPLF is still beating the drums of war in its media outlets. It is mobilizing the Tigray youth for yet another round of destructive war. Sadly, to the opposition of families, forced conscription has become a fact of everyone’s life in the Tigray Region,” it said



“In preparation for the war the TPLF has on the pipeline, children are being recruited forcefully in contravention of international law,” the statement said.

According to the statement there are clear indications that as in June 2021, the TPLF disregarding peace initiatives, is going to wage a third round of war during the upcoming peak farming season, which will extremely affect agricultural activities and further exacerbate the humanitarian crisis across the Tigray Region as well as adjacent areas of the Amhara and Afar Regions.

The international community needs to denounce and urge TPLF to stop its provocations and respect the humanitarian truce extended by the Government of Ethiopia.