The United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) announces the finalists of the sixth Empretec Women in Business Awards.
The awards celebrate exceptional businesswomen who have benefitted from UNCTAD’s global entrepreneurship training network, Empretec, and become role models for their outstanding achievements in running micro and small businesses.
The winners will be announced on 25 October at the World Investment Forum, taking place at the Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland, 22–26 October 2018.
More than 50 nominations were submitted by Empretec centers from 19 countries. The 10 finalists were selected by a panel of experts based on the innovation, leadership and impact on their communities the nominees demonstrated.
Since its launch in 1988, the Empretec programme has trained and motivated more than 400,000,8p9 entrepreneurs in more than 40 countries.
The 2018 finalists (in alphabetical order, by country) are:
- Rosana Marques (Brazil): Ouseuse, swimwear and lingerie
- Rocio Castro Fernandez (Ecuador): Momoa, clothes for breastfeeding mothers
- Ndey Fatou Njie (The Gambia): TiGA, swimwear products
- Chandra Vadhana (India): Skill development, training, assessments and human resources consulting
- Lama Sha’sha’a (Jordan): International Robotics Academy, education for 6–16-year-olds in robotics and science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- Uneiza Ali lssufo (Mozambique): ConsMoz Lda – Building Mozambique Limited, construction
- Barbara Ofwono Buyondo (Uganda): Victorious Education Services, kindergarten through primary school education
- Ana de León (Uruguay): Ruta 10 Upcycling, up-cycling design company (bags, accessories from recycled materials)
- Rina Arráez (Venezuela): Inversiones Alces 1012 C.A., handmade accessories from recycled materials
- Leah Diana Mitaba (Zambia): Butterfly Initiatives, cooperative for the production of vegetables and fruits
Thanks to the sponsors of the awards, the winner and two runners-up will win the chance to attend an executive course in digital marketing by IMD Lausanne, mentoring by the MBA Business School in Grenoble, France, and a watch by Delance of Switzerland among other gifts.
Previous winners of the Empretec Women in Business award include:
- 2016: Tran Thi Viet, Viet Tranf Handicraft, Vietnam
- 2014: Lina Jalil Khalifeh, SheFighter, Jordan,
- 2012: Melissa de Leon, Panama Gourmet, Panama,
- 2010: Beatrice Ayuru Byaruhanga, Lira Integrated School, Uganda
- 2008: Sana Zaal Burgan, Med Grant, Jordan.